I know the winter holiday season was several months ago but I still have to proclaim that this past Christmas I received one of the best gifts ever; time with my daughter learning something new in a hobby we both love. Quilting, of course!
My daughter had signed us up for a class to learn foundation piecing, using a Judy Niemeyer pattern. It was a technique that I have been interested in for quite some time but I just hadn’t taken the plunge to seriously investigate it. Even though I knew I could hunt online for any number of videos that would show me how to learn foundation piecing, this was one of those things that I really needed to be shown in person. So, near the end of January, my daughter made the trip up the day before so we could get an early start on the hour and a half drive to the full day class in Bangor.
Prior to the trip, we had cut 10 inch squares of dark and light fabrics so we would be ready to cut everything to the templates during our lesson. I had chosen to make this a scrap quilt with a variety of yellows for the lights and a combination of greens, reds and browns for the dark. My daughter opted to make a black and white quilt.
The first thing we did during the class was to cut our squares into the individual block pieces using the 10-inch template. Then we switched the dark triangles to the light pile and the light triangles to the dark pile. We were now ready to assemble our first block. And that was when things got interesting.
Our instructor showed us how to glue the first piece to the paper, trim it to a quarter inch, pin the second piece and stitch it to the first piece on the foundation paper. Sounded easy but oh contraire! It must have been a spatial problem because it took me the better part of the class to complete one block. I just could not wrap my head around the fact that we were attaching the pieces to the back side of the paper and stitching along the front. In other words, when looking at the marked side of the paper, I was actually looking at the back of the block not the front. I had to constantly check myself before stitching to make sure I had the right side of the fabric facing away from the paper. I finally had my Eureka moment by early afternoon and went on to finish another 4 blocks before the end of class. I believe my daughter finished 6 blocks by the end of the day so all in all it had been a productive day.
Once home, I kept creating blocks over the next couple of days so that I would not forget what I had learned. I completed piecing my “Follow the Leader” quilt sometime in March. I would have to put this quilt away for a time before I decided on a hand quilting pattern for it. Time was short and I had an approaching deadline on a baby quilt for a friend.